As the nationally appointed accreditation body, UKAS is the only body recognised by Government to assess these types of organisations against internationally recognised standards, and it does so across all market sectors by offering a transparent and consistent approach which builds business and consumer confidence.
UKAS advise that there are many companies that provide consultancy, surveying services, and risk assessments, sometimes at what initially appears to be low cost. However, before commissioning an organisation to undertake such work on your behalf it is important to consider the risks.
Do you know the answers to the following questions about your suppliers?
- Are you confident that the organisation has the technical competence to undertake the work in question?
- Are you satisfied that the organisation has the resources to do the work?
- Are the assessors working to suitable codes of conduct to ensure that the risk assessments are carried out impartially and with integrity?
- Are you confident that the organisation has an adequate quality system in place?
- Are you satisfied that safeguards are in place, e.g. appropriate liability insurance, in case difficulties arise?
With a UKAS accredited partner, you will know that these questions have not only been asked on a regular basis by independent auditors, but also that satisfactory answers have been received.
What else is involved?
HBE as an organisation has been able to demonstrate that individuals carrying out risk assessments are technically competent to do so. This has been demonstrated by means of;
- Qualifications attained
- Internal training
- Routine competence monitoring
- Internal auditing to include witnessed risk assessment performance by a qualified inspector
- Quality control of risk assessments through programme of re-inspecting properties that are representative of all the general types being inspected
PLUS, as an organisation we have demonstrated that we:
- have appropriate liability insurance
- operate a Code of Conduct
- have implemented processes for working safely
- have a process to manage contract review to ensure that customer requirements are fully understood, the work is adequately resourced and that any deviations to the work are immediately brought to the attention of the client
- have a complaints process (with referral to UKAS if not satisfied)
- Risk assessments are carried out independently and impartially. (UKAS looks for sufficient safeguards to ensure that links to other bodies do not influence the risk assessment or any subsequent recommendations)
- Integrity is being maintained by all staff at all levels through contractual obligation to written codes of conduct. (Such safeguards are necessary to ensure that inspections are undertaken with sufficient impartiality and that recommendations are appropriate to given situations.)
In summary, according to UKAS, the key benefits of using a UKAS accredited provider include:
- Experienced staff – competence is built on qualifications, knowledge and experience.
- Clear reporting and appropriate recommendations for managing risk
- Impartiality and integrity
- Ability to demonstrate due diligence
- Reduced exposure to insurance claims
HBE are proud to be one of only three companies in the UK and the first Irish company to hold UKAS Accreditation for both Asbestos Surveying and Legionella Risk Assessments. For more information about our services at to get a quote contact us.