Legionnaires’ Disease Kills Council Care Home Resident

Share This Post

Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

A 95-year-old man who was recovering from a stroke in a Reading council run care home has died from Legionnaires’ Disease.

The man was staying in the Care Home when he contracted pneumonia which was found to be caused by the Legionella bacterium.

Reading Borough Council has acknowledged “the possibility exists that the resident may have contracted Legionella bacteria at the care home, although that has not been established beyond doubt”. Checks to the water system have found traces of the bacterium in a tap. An independent expert consultant, carried out extensive testing and cleaning of the water system at The Willows and fitted special bacteria filters to all water outlets in the building.

The Council believes that “on the basis of expert independent advice, that our maintenance programme at the home is fully in line with the Health and Safety Executive’s Approved Code of Practice and that the risk to residents from Legionella is as low as possible.

“We have adhered to the Health and Safety Executive’s approved code of practice on Legionella before this incident and the measures taken since are over and above the HSE guidance.”

The care home is reported to have been completely refurbished in September last year including the renewal of much of the water system.

More To Explore

HBE

Last Sample Collection Dates 2020

Last Collection Day Our last collection of water samples will be on Friday 18th December 2020. Normal services will resume on Monday 4th January 2021.

HBE

Technical Bulletin Issue 1

Welcome to the first HBE Legionella Control Technical News Bulletin. In our everchanging world, data and information analysis has become commonplace and it is no different with HBE.