NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde LegionellaA Scottish health board failed to remove asbestos in the ceiling of a hospital despite being told in three surveys that it was “high risk”.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board was fined over the health and safety breaches. Glasgow Sheriff Court heard on Friday that the board had failed to “properly manage the risks of asbestos” in a ground floor neurology plant and switch room at the Southern General Hospital.

The court was told that three surveys of the room were carried out, which recommended the asbestos materials were removed and the facility underwent “environmental cleaning” in response to the discovery.

The HSE discovered that the health board had not taken any action over the asbestos since the original survey highlighted the issue in 2004. Only in March 2011, following plans to run electrical installations into the plant room, a specialist company carried out a survey which found several highly damaged asbestos materials and debris that posed a “high risk”.

The executive said on Friday the monitoring of the asbestos in the room was “insufficient”. As the Glasgow Health Board failed in its duty to properly manage the risks of asbestos in its premises, a number of employees and external contractors were exposed to harmful fibres over the past seven years.

The health board admitted breaching asbestos regulations and was fined £10,000.