The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted the Powys based company over the incident as the firm had been commissioned to refurbish a building on the estate but when licensed asbestos removal contractors arrived on site on 18 October 2010, they found two self-employed workers and the company director had already started to remove the material.
The Court heard the company had taken no precautions to prevent the spread of fibres. Asbestos insulation boards had been prised off and timber studding with broken fragments of asbestos had been placed into an unprotected skip, together with broken floor tiles which also contained asbestos.
HSE attended the site and immediately stopped all work due to the risk to those working there.
The contractor pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £10,000 costs for this asbestos breach. The HSE inspector was reported as saying that the contractor had “an absolute disregard for the health and safety of workers on the site by allowing work with asbestos to take place fully aware it was present. The court recognised the severity of this appalling situation today. Exposure to asbestos can kill and we will not hesitate to take enforcement action against anyone found to have worked unsafely with the material.”