A holiday resort near Dundee has been fined £120,000 for a breach of Health and Safety legislation which led to the death of a former guest from Legionnaires’ disease.

Experts investigated the Leisure Complex after the 60 year old man died of the infection a month later. His partner also fell ill after the visit but has recovered. Legionella bacteria was discovered on a shower head and hot tub in their lodge.

An investigation by Angus Council established that the same strain of legionella bacteria that had caused Mr Warnes’ death was present in the hot tub and two of the shower heads at the lodge where he had stayed at the resort.

Elaine Taylor, Head of the Crown Office’s health and safety division, said “The control measures which were in place at the Piperdam resort were inadequate and led to the proliferation of the legionella bacteria in the lodge where Mr Warnes and his family were staying.”

Source: BBC