Legionella bacteria HBEAfter an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), it is reported that Reading Borough Council will be prosecuted after a 95-year-old man died from Legionnaires’ disease in a council-run care home.

The council is to be prosecuted by the HSE following a coroner’s ruling that the resident died of Legionella pneumonia, after being admitted to hospital.

The inquest heard that he tested positive for Legionnaires’ disease and the same bacteria strain was found in the washbasin tap of his bedroom in the care home. The Coroner said: “Tests confirmed that the strand of Legionnaires’ found in the wash basin of the resident’s room is the same type” as found in his urine sample. This according to the Coroner supported the view that on the balance of probability the tap was the source of the Legionella bacteria.”

The case is due to be heard in October, when the council will be prosecuted for failing to discharge its duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Source: SHP