A businessman’s actions led to the spread of asbestos dust throughout an industrial building he was selling, by not employing licensed contractors to remove asbestos containing materials, a court has heard.
The owner of a business unit located within in a Colwyn Bay Business Park, was in the process of selling the building to another business when the incident happened in September 2012.
Llandudno Magistrates’ Court heard that the company purchasing the unit had commissioned an asbestos survey that showed the presence of a large amount of asbestos insulating board (AIBs). Instead of employing a qualified and licensed asbestos removal contractor – as the law requires – the owner/seller used a general contractor, which resulted in asbestos dust being spread inside the building. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) received a complaint, which identified clear failings with his management of the material and resulted in a significant clean-up operation undertaken by an authorised contractor.
The owner was fined £8,000 ordered to pay £7,400 in costs after pleading guilty to a single breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.