Up to 500,000 commercial, industrial and public buildings in the UK and Ireland are likely to contain asbestos materials. Unless this material is properly managed then workers, especially maintenance workers and contractors, may breathe in the deadly fibres whilst carrying out their routine jobs.
Legislation places a legal duty on those parties responsible for maintaining and repairing the premises, covering Building mangers, Property owners, Property managing agents, Employers, & Self-employed), to manage the risk from asbestos.
In particular the duty holder must:
- Take reasonable steps to find materials in premises likely to contain asbestos and check their condition.
- Presume that materials contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence to the contrary.
- Make a written record of the location and condition of asbestos and presumed asbestos containing materials (ACMs) and keep this record up-to-date.
- Assess the risk of anyone being exposed to these materials.
- Prepare a plan to manage that risk and put it into effect.
Our range of Asbestos services include:
- Asbestos Management, Refurbishment, Demolition and Re-inspection Surveys (UKAS 17020 accredited)
- Project Management and Consultancy
- Asbestos Management Plans
- Asbestos Registers (Online & Paper-based)
- Range of Asbestos Training Courses, including:
- UKATA Asbestos Awareness (Category A) classroom course
- Asbestos Awareness eLearning course
- Working with Non-Licensed Asbestos (Category B) Classroom course
For further information about our Asbestos services or to speak with one of our experienced Consultants, call 0333 207 5744 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Essex school has been fined after poorly-planned and managed refurbishment activities exposed staff and contractors to asbestos.
Contaminated Land Application in Real Environment has published industry guidance on managing & working with asbestos in soil, construction & demolition materials.
A Belfast property company has been fined for exposing workers to Asbestos fibres in the refurbishment of a popular entertainment venue. The company pleaded guilty to three breaches of the health and safety legislation in [...]